Friday, November 2, 2012

About this blog


Sometime around mid-summer 2012, it hit me that I had been practicing Bomba faithfully for about eight months.  I had improved a lot from my first class, but I realized that in order to get better I needed a “barril” (bomba drum).  I had heard from my director Manuela that a barril would cost about $500 and that I would have to find a drum maker to build the instrument for me.  Bomba has two drums the subidor (aka “primo”) and the buleador neither of which are not sold in stores and few people in New York City let alone the United States know how to make it or have time to make it for Bomba practitioners.  My search for a drum maker and the subsequent search for a conga bag to fit my drum, along with my research for information on the history of Bomba lead me to realize Bomba and its sister genre Plena had very little presence on the web. I had had a previous idea for a webpage that listed Bomba teachers, but sometime before New York’s Bomplenazo 2012 festival I realized Bomba needed a place on the World Wide Web to call home. After Bomplenazo 2012 I went home and looked up the names of various groups and individual performers.  Slowly through Facebook I was able to find other Bomberos. This finding only confirmed my thoughts for doing this project.  I envision this blog/website as place Bomba and Plena practitioners can discuss up and coming events, where Bomba is going strong, who various performers are and their recordings, recent performances, where a teacher will be appearing, and the different approaches to Bomba. 

Creating this blog will be a work in progress. I will be learning as I go about what it takes to build a quality blog, I welcome your advise and your assistance. As you may have noticed I am not a Spanish speaker, I’m sure most will agree that not being fluent in Spanish and/or not being of Puerto Rican decent is a major drawback for this blog, as I am sure to miss certain nuances. Well like anything in life I will do my best to cope with the language gap and with learning Puerto Rican and Bomba culture.  If you can read and write in Spanish and would like to contribute to this blog get in touch with me.

Yours truly,

De 

No comments:

Post a Comment