Friday, November 2, 2012

About Me



I'm a native of Atlanta, GA born and raised. I've always loved music, but after listening to the likes of Mongo Santamaria and Willie Bobo in mid 90’s I developed a passion for Afro-Latin percussion.  In 2001, I moved to New York City in pursuit of a professional degree and the hopes of learning Afro-Latin percussion in a city I knew was famous for it.  It took 10 years but in late 2011 I met Manuela Arciniegas the director of The Legacy Women an all female Bomba and Dominican Palo group. When I met Manuela I had only heard the word “Bomba!” mentioned in dances, at the end of “Salsa” concerts. I was so nervous when I walked up to Manuela and ask her about her classes.  Once I attended class with the Legacy Circle I knew I wanted to learn Bomba, I knew right then I loved Bomba and I have been practicing this incredible Afro-Puerto Rican music tradition from that first class November 2011 till present.

What I’ve found from Day 1 is that Bomba and Plena is a small and warm community of music lovers who are determine to preserve this Afro-Puerto Rican music tradition.  Bomberos are passionate about their music and dedicated to teaching Bomba to anyone willing to undertake this musical journey. In that first class I may have found a welcoming community, but to my heart’s dismay I quickly learned that I’m not a natural percussionist, in fact I was flat out awful those first two months. Enthusiasm and determination could not hide a total lack coordination and rhythm.  But I kept coming and after a few weeks my instructor Alex told me that in order to address my “timing issues” I should purchase a metronome.  Alex didn’t stop there though; he told me took at his flexed a forearmed muscle, he looked me in the eye and informed me how it had taken him years of doing drills and practicing rhythms to get his arms to the level of fitness I saw before me.  I got the message “little by little” I had to build my fitness and coordination up, but I also got the more nuance message about the level of dedication it would take to be a good Bombero. By the end of Summer 2012 I realized Manuela and others were referring to me as a new Bombero.  I cannot tell you how being referred to in this way warmed my heart, I had earned the respect of people as they recognized that I was a serious student. Becoming a good Bombero is like learning a martial art. Bomba is not just drumming (though the drum is essential), a Bombero needs to learn how to dance, sing, and play both the “cua” and the maracas.  A Bombero also needs to learn the thinking and history behind what he or she is doing. I could go on and on about this, but I think you get the message I’m on the road to being a Bombero, it’s a long journey I hope you are ready to learn with me.

Sincerely yours,

Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment