Wednesday, December 4, 2013

In Loving Memory of Brother Ricky Soler - March 15, 1957 to December 1, 2013.

March 15, 1957 to December 1, 2013


I like many others in the Bomba and Plena community learned on Monday that Ricky Soler had passed away sometime on Sunday December 1, 2013, he was 56 years old.  Rick had told me of his medical issues, but I never believed we would loose him so soon as this.  Rick was a talented Bombero a great singer, cua player and a fantastic drum maker.  He made barrilies for Bomberos across all corners of the Bomba diaspora.  He made my barril and to this day I am told how great that drum sounds and asked who built it. But there was more to Rick, he was a friend to many Bomberos. It was hard not to like Ricky.  He was a mentor to many I could go on and on about the man. Rick leaves behind a wife and daughter and many other family and friends. 

Today we celebrate Rick's life and his contributions to the Bomba and Plena community and to Puerto Rican culture. Below I posted a video of Ricky's band Rumbacuembe, he also had a YouTube channel by the same name, I strongly recommend that you visit that channel.  





No comments:

Post a Comment